If you are an outdoorsy kind of person and won’t let the cold and unforgiving environmental conditions of summer affect your thrills, it may be time to start looking at 4 season tents as your source of shelter.
As the name suggests, 4 season tents are built to provide shelter to campers all year round regardless the weather conditions. They are sturdily built and specially engineered to withstand extreme outdoor conditions that winter brings. Therefore, if you are planning to hike a snowy mountain or a camping trip during the winter, all you need is a four season tent.
Is it Safe to Sleep in a 4 Season Tent?
Sometimes hotel reservations can be expensive. This is especially true during peak seasons. A lot of people wonder if they can cut down the cost of hotel accommodation by using a 4-season tent while not compromising their safety. The answer is a resounding “yes!” 4-season tents are completely safe to use during the winter. In the section below, you will see why that is.
Purpose of Four Season Tents
As stated earlier, 4-season tents are built to protect you from harsh environmental conditions. So how exactly do these tents do that? Well, they are engineered to;
1. Shield you from snow – If you are hiking a mountain, chances are that you cannot do it in a single day, and you’ll need a safe place to crash. A 4-season tent provides a safe shelter that keeps snow away from you.
2. Shield you from wind – 4-season tents are enclosed all-round to prevent wind from entering the tent. Most of these tents feature rounded edges to direct the wind around the tent.
3. Insulate – The interior of 4-season tents are padded with materials that insulate the interior from cold to help maintain warmth within the tent.
4. Release moisture to the atmosphere – If you’ve ever been trapped in a tiny room with people, you’ll have noticed how damp it gets especially if the room doesn’t have ventilation. 4-season tents are designed with ventilation holes (inspired by human skin) to let out the excess moisture that’s breathed out when asleep.
4 Season Vs 3 Season Tents
In this section, we compare 4-season tents to 3-season tents to help potential buyers determine which tent is more suitable for them.
1. Build quality – 3 season tents are made of thin, lightweight materials while 4 season tents are built of sturdy, heavy-duty materials. 3-season tents are also heavily ventilated compared to 4 season tents.
2. Price – Needless to say, 3 season tents are cheaper than 4 season tents as a result of their lightweight build.
3. Purpose – 3 season tents are thin and can protect campers form windy and rainy conditions experienced during the spring, summer and fall seasons. On the other hand, 4-season tents with their heavy-duty build offer protection across all four seasons. They are better equipped to handle strong winds as well as harsh snowy conditions.
How to Shop for 4 Season Tents
Here are some of the most important things to keep in mind when shopping for a 4 season tent
1. Look for a tent that’s easy to setup. You don’t want the harsh weather conditions to catch you while fumbling with the setup mechanisms.
2. Look for a tent built with heavy-duty materials that can withstand even the harshest of conditions
3. Consider the weight of the tent. The last thing you want is bringing along a tent that’s too heavy and tiresome to carry
If you love camping or going on fun outdoor adventures regardless the season, a 4-season tent is what you need. Even quality-wise, they are better than 3-season tents. That said, you should consider purchasing a 3 season tent if you don’t partake or have no intentions of partaking in any outdoor camping activities during the winter season.
Lastly, tents, both 3 season and 4 season are like cars, don’t just pick the shiniest one you find online, you need to test drive it. In the same way, when buying a 3 season or 4 season tent, test it out physically to ensure it meets your standards.